Who?

Kirkland, Washington, United States
Artifacts of an experience

18 April 2008

Back to Istanbul

WWW.PATRICKLOVEPHOTOGRAPHY.COM

My time in Turkey always starts and ends in Istanbul. Probably my favorite city in the world, although I can't forget about Rome. In the beginning I always enter Istanbul with uncontainable excitement. In the end, I always leave with sadness.
DSC_4405light copy
Now, I always have to tell myself that I will be back.
DSC_4452 copy
The truth is that I don't think that anything could keep me away from this wonderful city for very long.
DSC_4389 copy
I met these guys at a little fruit market. They asked me if I was a Christian and then they showed me inside of their Greek Orthodox church. Here in Istanbul, where many of the buildings have anonymous high walls around them, I never would have entered, if not for their kindness and openness to a stranger.
DSC_4377 copy
DSC_4378 copy
DSC_4379 copy
DSC_4380 copy
DSC_4384 copy
This is the front of the Greek Orthodox church. The wall of icons here are a window into the theology of the people who worship here. It has taken me some time, but now I can pretty much read each part of the entire wall.
DSC_4374 copy
DSC_4396 copy
DSC_4398 copy
I wish that I had grown up here.
DSC_4401 copy
Hands down, my favorite building in Istanbul. I hope that in my lifetime it never changes.
DSC_4411 copy
DSC_4431 copy
DSC_4448 copy

1 comment:

Ebby said...

Wow, I LOVE your Istanbul pictures. I really really love them. Theyre kinda sad maybe cause I always feel sad when I think about Istanbul, but I cant get enough of these pictures. Im from Istanbul living in Zurich now and I just came back from Istanbul hollydays a few weeks ago and was looking for some pictures, thats how I got here... Your favorite picture became my favorite picture now :) Its very nice, where is that building?
Regards,
Ebru