Who?

Kirkland, Washington, United States
Artifacts of an experience

29 March 2008

Van, Turkey

I've been dreaming of going to Van for a long time. It was almost 3 or 4 years ago that I first heard about it. It is located so far south in Eastern Turkey, that we saw some road signs that said turn left to go to Iran.

We met this guy inside of a little restaurant. I think that he was carrying a small tattred piece of paper in his wallet that had some phrases written on it in English. It was nice to know that someone had been saving those words just for us, and when he found us he was able to share them with us.
dsc_3931 copy
This boy was one of my favorite people that I met on the trip. He was working for his father in a little shop that made the tea kettles that you can see him holding. He was so friendly, he showed us what each machine and tool in the shop did, and showed us how he made his tea kettles. If I ever went back to Van, I would definitely try to find him.
dsc_3932 copy
This guy saw us interacting with some other people and started following us for a long time. He walked with us for a few blocks, and I started to grow suspicious that he was going to try to ask us for money. But he just kept following us quietly, watching what we were doing. Finally, I asked him if he wanted his picture taken, and he said yes.
dsc_3935 copy
dsc_3935 copy
This guy owns a vegetable market. We hung out with him for a while and he gave us all the free fruit that we could eat.
dsc_3939 copy
This kid kind of seemed like a practical joker, but I liked him anyway.
dsc_3940 copy
dsc_3945 copy
dsc_3946 copy
We ended up having tea with some guys who owned a glass shop. After we had drank our tea, I did a portrait of them.
dsc_3950 copy
dsc_3951 copy
This guy owns a duner shop. Duners are the same an Greek gyros.
dsc_3956 copy

No comments: