Who?

Kirkland, Washington, United States
Artifacts of an experience

27 March 2008

Hasankeyf, Turkey

Talk about old, this place is was around to watch old get its first gray hair!

The first thing that we noticed about Hasankeyf, was that people still live in caves in the hills just around town.
dsc_3711 copy
This guy gave my dad and I a little tour of his cave dwelling. It was pretty cool, considering that I thought he was going to throw rocks at us for pissing his dogs off instead. It was apparent that people had been living in these caves for a long time. Probably thousands of years. He took us through the few different levels, and even showed us a room where they used to worship the sun. For that matter, maybe they still worship the sun there, I don't know. It was interesting because this guy had a way of climbing around on the rock with a natural ease, while my dad and I had to really watch out that we didn't slip and fall to our deaths. I think that we were very lucky to have met him.
dsc_3664 copy
dsc_3653 copy
Storks
dsc_3677 copy

Above the city there was a large castle a city and a graveyard. Now you can go up there and hike around the ruins. There is enough to see that if you wanted to see everything it would take most of a day. This cat decided to follow us and persistently meow for pretty much the entire time I was there. If no one else would have been watching, I might have chucked it over the cliff to get it to shut up.
dsc_3723 copy
This was inside some of the ruins.
dsc_3750 copy
This guy was great. Dad and I would stop by his shop and we would drink coffee with him. His hands always smelled like fish, so he made me prepare the coffee. His English wasn't bad so we learned the town gossip from him, like how many wives certain men had. You know, the usual. Turns out that if you have 3 wives your probably about average. Some of the men have so many children that they can't keep their names straight. One man I heard about had 25!
dsc_3765 copy
Just a truck passing through town. It was good for a laugh.
dsc_3795 copy
These are the pylons of the old bridge that crossed the Tigris river here. Too bad it and the castle were not preserved very well. This place would be one of the most amazing historical sights in the world. As they are they are pretty darn amazing. I just read that this place has been inhabited by 9 civilizations.
dsc_3807_5_6_tonemapped copy
This is half of an arch that still survives.
dsc_3852_0hdr3_1_tonemapped copy
As I was taking pictures of the old bridge I made some friends.
dsc_3837 copy
dsc_3836 copy
dsc_3880 copy
In the morning people water their animals at the river.
dsc_3789 copy
There was a dust storm coming through the area. One person told us that it was only like this one or two days a year. The dust in the air put a kind of pastel cloak over everything as if we were experiencing a constant sunset.
dsc_3883 copy
This tomb was built in the 1400s for the son of a local governor.
dsc_3858_6hdr3_7_tonemapped copy
dsc_3867_5hdr3_6_tonemapped copy

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Patrick, you are truly an amazing photographer. I am so jealous that you got to go to Turkey. Pete and I have been craving Turkey lately (that sounds kind of funny :)
I love these pictures. I want to hang some up in the house that we don't own yet. :)
Hope you are well and I can't wait to see you this summer.